Monday, March 11, 2013

Fixing Broken Powder Makeup

Okay, I know.

I know this is something you can already Google but I just wanna share why I needed to actually look it up.

Basically, yesterday, I broke like...two of my favourite things:
My favourite compact mirror and also my SilkyGirl Pressed Powder.


It was a shitty day and this just tops the cake.
The mirror, I already bid farewell to, but I'm keeping it with me for memories. It HAS been with me for 6 years. It might not be a sentimental item for some, but I bought it in Japan. For it to have lasted that long, wow. It's a simple, thin, light compact mirror. Fullstop.

It did however, also hurt my foot when I was looking for the shards.
That's how sentimental I am. Haha.

I can, however, fix the broken compact.

Funny how the mirror in that is intact. So....weird. As if it was meant to happen.
Anyway, 7 years of bad luck? Maybe.

So anyway, let's get on to how you can fix your compact.
This is extremely useful for expensive powder products but here's to hoping I WON'T have to experience any of my pricey products breaking.

It'd just break my heart.


Here's what you need:
-70% Alcohol Solution
-Spatula
-A tear-off paper palette/wax paper
-Tissues to clean off the compact

Alternatively, you can break the powdered product in the compact itself, meaning you don't need a wax paper. I've seen people use a saran wrap. However, I want to save as much as I can. Just make sure your spatula is clean and sterilised when you mash it.

However, this was how I did it.

Step 1: Get all the necessary tools.

70% Alcohol Solution, a spatula and a tear off palette or wax paper. 
 Secondly, of course, your broken compact ( ;_; )

It actually broke quite nicely LOL.
For me, I took it out of the compact itself, and placed it on the waxy surface.

There's a reason for this.
This is because I want to clean up the compact itself:

Close enough.
Step 3, mash it with your spatula as finely as possible!

Something like that.
Then add a few drops of alcohol onto the powder and mix it until you get something pasty like this. Honestly, it reminds me of clay. Kinda of nice, really.

"Almost like milk chocolate :D"
Step 4, with your spatula, scoop it into your clean compact and smoothen it as much as you can. For me, with the spatula I used, the sides can easily be fixed into place, due to the curved side.

Just imagine a cake you're frosting. It's hard.

Good enough.
That was easy right?
Even I was surprised.

So, are you worried that the alcohol would stay in the product?
Fret not.

Alcohol evaporates.

Although it would take a day or two for the smell to actually go away.
And no, don't spray any perfume.

It might change the texture slightly, but it'll still be functional.

So yeah, that's what I did to my poor compact.

I'll add the photos when it's actually dried up fully.

Hope that helps.

Take care!

-Nisah-

EDIT: 

Here's the product after it is dried overnight :)

Turned back to its original colour.
And then here's a swatch:

With flash. It swatches the same like before.
The flash makes it look white, due to the SPF25 it has.
But in real life, it's the actual brown like it was before.

SO, it's a success :D
Save your makeup, fix it!

*unless it's covered in poo, DON'T*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment on your thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags

acne (25) allergy (4) anti-acne (21) BB Cream (14) beauty (24) depression (12) diy (6) Dolly Wink (5) e.l.f (4) essence cosmetics (15) Etude House (33) food (24) Ginvera (5) giveaway (18) hauls (29) Holika Holika (9) impulse buys (18) Lioele (2) Lip Products (21) LUSH (6) makeup (38) mask (15) mini reviews (9) Miri Haul (12) MUA (17) Mustika Ratu (2) Nair (2) online shops (17) Paloma (9) personal (49) Price Range List (3) primer (6) Prize Mail (6) Project 10 Pan (3) Project FINISH IT (2) rants (15) rash (2) reviews (40) Revlon (11) sample (5) SaSa (13) SaSa Malaysia (12) sasa.com (12) sasatinnie (14) scars (7) scrub (10) shampoo (3) SilkyGirl (7) skincare (38) SkinFood (32) SkinLab's (2) snacks (4) soap (5) St. Ives (9) swatches (4) Technic (4) The Body Shop (22) The Sample Store (3) The Skin Shop (5) theBalm (21) TheFaceShop (18) thoughts (26) Tony Moly (16) trash (2) w7 (2)